Man suspected of rape: “It’s solved, we’re getting married”
A 20-year-old man from Eritrea has been detained since last year on suspicion of rape of a minor Eritrean girl in the Netherlands. According to the suspect, the families have “solved the case” between themselves and the girl withdraws the report, but Justice does not agree.
The rape is said to have taken place on July 12, 2018. Both the suspect and the victim were staying at the asylum seekers’ center in Oisterwijk in the south of the Netherlands. The 19-year-old man was said to have approached his victim from behind, tossed a cloth over her head and then raped her. The girl was 15 years old at the time.
During non-substantive handling of the case, the suspect said it was all a misunderstanding. Because he was arrested after the alleged rape, he was unable to contact the victim and talk it out. In the meantime, the families of those involved would have done so. “It is mutually resolved, we are getting married,” he said.
The Dutch public prosecutor raised serious doubts about this explanation. According to him, the victim and her friends were very upset after the incident. He, therefore, wants to hear from the girl whether and why she is withdrawing her tax return and what exactly has been discussed. He also wants the police to hear the suspect again. The court agreed. If necessary, an expert in the field of Eritrean culture will also be consulted.
The suspect’s lawyer asked the court to release his client while awaiting trial. “I am not a danger to society,” said the suspect. Given the seriousness of the suspicion, the court rejected that request. The man gets stuck.