Police use tear gas against first day “civil disobedience” in Sudan

Police today used tear gas against demonstrators in the Sudanese capital of Khartoum after attempting to set up roadblocks on the first day of “civil disobedience” in the country. The opposition had called for it yesterday in protest against the military rulers.

The disobedience expresses itself in roadblocks and a general strike and comes one day after allegedly two opposition leaders were arrested. Trade union umbrella SPA, one of the most important opposition groups that had called for civil disobedience, has only asked healthcare staff to work so that people can still receive medical care.

Manifestants gathered today in the Bahri, a district in the north of the Khartoum, including stones, car tires, pieces of iron and tree stumps to set up barricades. The riot police responded quickly with tear gas. According to witnesses, most roads in Bahri are closed and most stores have remained closed. Public transport also seems to have stopped.

Police use tear gas against first day "civil disobedience" in Sudan

Civilian government

“Civil disobedience and the general strike are our peaceful means of taking our right to live out of the hands of the barbarian militia,” said SPA in a press release. The action will not stop before a civilian government is installed.

Yesterday, Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed was still in Khartoum. He has to act as a mediator between the opposition and the military transitional council, which has been in power since President Omar al-Bashir was deposed on 11 April.

Police use tear gas against first day "civil disobedience" in Sudan


Last Monday, the security forces opened fire on peaceful protesters who were sitting in front of the army headquarters in the capital, Khartoum. There were dozens of deaths. The opposition speaks of a bloodbath and a climate of terror in the capital.

Show More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button