The Mediterranean diet has been voted the healthiest food in the ‘Best Diet Report 2020’ for the third time in a row. This report is published annually by U.S. News & World Report, one of the largest news platforms in the United States.
For the 10th year in a row, U.S. News & World Report evaluates the most popular diets in its annual diet report. The U.S. News & World Report’s panel of health experts includes nutritionists, physicians and other specialists on diabetes, heart health, human behavior, and weight loss. The diets are ranked into eight categories, including prevention and management of diabetes and cardiovascular disease and the likelihood of weight loss.
And that’s where the Mediterranean diet came out on top as the best diet in general. With that diet, you eat like the countries bordering the Mediterranean, which have a lot of vegetables, fruit, nuts, legumes, whole grains, low-fat dairy products, olive oil, poultry, fish and moderate alcohol consumption on the menu.
The Mediterranean diet was also at the top of the list for the best diet for diabetes, the most natural diet to follow and the best diet to eat healthily.
The Mediterranean diet has long been known to promote your health. It reduces the risk of heart attack, heart failure, ischaemic stroke (CVA) and cardiovascular disease. For this reason, the main guidelines of the Mediterranean diet largely correspond to those of the food triangle we used:
- Base your meals on starchy carbohydrates such as bread, pasta, rice, and potatoes. Choose wholemeal variants and eat potatoes in their skins.
- Eat at least five portions of fruit or vegetables a day.
- Choose lean proteins such as lean meat (e.g., poultry), fish (e.g., salmon or tuna), eggs, and legumes.
- Put milk and dairy products (cheese or yogurt) on the menu as a source of protein and calcium.
- Limit the use of products rich in fat and/or sugar.
WW, the former Weight Watchers, has been voted the best slimming diet for the tenth year in a row. Besides, WW was recognized as the best commercial diet program and as the fourth healthiest diet to follow.