Too bad but unfortunately: the summer vacation is already over. Those who want to keep the holiday feeling for as long as possible can already start planning their next trip. Online travel guide Time Out provides the necessary inspiration and lists the 50 best places in the world.
In 2019 it’s easy to travel like a local. With the help of platforms such as Airbnb and CouchSurfing, we can spend the night at people’s homes, taking a taxi is a piece of cake everywhere, and with the help of a smartphone and a language app, we can communicate smoothly with everyone. The biggest challenge remains to avoid well-trodden paths. Don’t you want to stand out as a tourist? Then it’s a good idea to look for cozy neighborhoods where the real locals stay.
To find out what the most beautiful, most overestimated and most underappreciated districts are, Time Out surveyed 27,000 city dwellers worldwide. Afterwards, experts – editors who work for the travel guide and know certain cities like the back of their hand – had to select the most trendy neighbourhoods.
In doing so, they had to take some factors into account. Have new hotspots been opened? Can locals still afford to live there? Is there anything to do in the area of art and culture? Can you eat and drink well there?
On that basis, 50 winners emerged. We list them for you.
1. Arroios, Lisbon, Portugal.
2. Shimokitazawa, Tokyo, Japan.
3. Onikan, Lagos, Portugal.
4. Wedding, Berlin, Germany.
5. Historic Filipinotown, Los Angeles, USA.
6. The Waterfront, Hobart, Tasmania.
7. Strasbourg-Saint-Denis, Paris, France.
8. Astoria, New York, USA.
9. Embajadores, Madrid, Spain.
10. Pilsen, Chicago, USA.
11. Peckham, London, UK.
12. Soi Pridi Banomyong & Phra Khanong, Bangkok, Thailand.
13. Footscray, Melbourne, Australia.
14. Zhongshan, Taipei, Taiwan.
15. Kerem HaTeimanim & Shuk HaCarmel, Tel Aviv, Israel.
16. Kypseli, Athens, Greece.
17. Jalatlaco, Oaxaca, Mexico.
18. District 3, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
19. Juárez, Mexico City, Mexico.
20. El Poblenou, Barcelona, Spain.
21. Jamestown, Accra, Ghana.
22. Verdun, Montreal, Canada.
23. Overseas Chinese Town, Shenzhen, China.
24. Holly, Austin, USA.
25. Bom Retiro, São Paulo, Brazil.
26. Katendrecht, Rotterdam, the Netherlands.
27. Ancoats, Manchester, UK.
28. Corktown, Detroit, USA.
29. Gemmayzeh & Mar Mikhaël, Beirut, Lebanon.
30. Barranco, Lima, Peru.
31. Dogpatch, San Francisco, USA.
32. Vesterbro, Copenhagen, Denmark.
33. Naeja-dong, Seoul, South Korea.
34. Yppenplatz & Brunnenmarkt, Vienna, Austria.
35. Easton, Bristol, UK.
36. The Junction, Toronto, Canada.
37. Kadıköy-Moda, Istanbul, Turkey.
38. Kelvinbridge, Glasgow, Scotland.
39. Oltrarno, Florence, Italy.
40. Old Havana, Havana, Cuba.
41. Melville, Johannesburg, South Africa.
42. Stoneybatter, Dublin, Ireland.
43. Bartók, Budapest, Hungary.
44. Downtown, Miami, USA.
45. Tanjong Pagar, Singapore.
46. Nové Město, Prague, Czech Republic.
47. Bandra West, Mumbai, India.
48. Sai Ying Pun, Hong Kong, China.
49. Old Xuhui, Shanghai, China.
50. Dorćol, Belgrade, Serbia.