Billboard ranking for Sub-Saharan Africa: Burna Boy top the list
American magazine Billboard has published its ranking of the 15 best artists in sub-Saharan Africa for the period from June 2019 to June 2020. Burna Boy is at the top with the highest views of 435.57 million followed by Diamond Platnumz with 291.98 million views
Considering the benchmark for the faithful representation of the success of artist-musicians and the compilation of their commercial performances, to the world in general, in Africa in particular, the American magazine Billboard published its ranking of the 15 best artists in sub-Saharan Africa, for the period from June 2019 to June 2020.
This ranking, which highlights several parameters, including digital sales and the number of online views, was published in the columns of the American magazine after the collection and analysis of YouTube Music data Charts and Insights.
Unsurprisingly, in this ranking, Nigeria is in the first position with nine artists, followed by Tanzania with three artists, the Democratic Republic of Congo with two artists and Uganda with one.
This full box of Nigeria is explained by its new role as a hub for African music, its openness to investors, and the ability of its artists to increase their audiences on social networks and online broadcasting platforms (Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, Vevo, Spotify, Streaming…)
The list of the Billboard ranking for Sub-Saharan Africa
- Burna Boy (Nigeria) with 435.57 million views
- Diamond Platnumz (Tanzania) with 291.98 million views
- Davido (Nigeria) with 285.76 million views
- Fally Ipupa (DRC) with 186.6 million views
- Wizkid (Nigeria) with 176.23 million views
- Innos’b (DRC) with 155.67 million views
- Teknomiles (Nigeria) with 153.07 million views
- Mr. Eazi (Nigeria) with 139.68 million views
- Harmonize (Tanzania) with 138.98 million views
- Rayvanny (Tanzania) with 133.69 million views
- Mr. Flavor (Nigeria) with 130.15 million views
- Sinach (Nigeria) with 120.73 million views
- Eddy Kenzo (Uganda) with 109.73 million views
- Yemi Alade (Nigeria) with 109.55 million views
- Joeboy (Nigeria) with 106.08 million views
Of these 15 best artists from the sub-Saharan part of the continent, only the innovative approach of the Tanzanian Diamond Platnumz (2nd in the ranking) caught the attention of the jury, believing that it is the image of musical entrepreneurship in Africa.
3.6 million subscribers and 980 million views on its channel, of which around 80% outside of Tanzania. These videos are of exceptionally high quality, says Kevin Meenan, manager of music trends on YouTube and supervisor of data collection and analysis for this ranking, adding that Western artists can learn from what African artists do.